Darlington, PA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: What are my right's after my mom's death do I have since I lived with her to settle the estate and have to move out

I lost my job because of taking care of her my siblings left me to make all the decisions for her care now they want their inhierentence it's only been a month

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If there was a Will, the Will controls. If there is no Will, you and your siblings have equal authority and equal responsibilities. You also get equal inheritances. However, you have the right to claim a “family exemption” right off the top because you lived with her. As I recall, that is worth $3500.00, but I would want to check that. If they renounce their rights to serve as co-administrators, you could also charge a fee for serving as administrator.

The fact that you lost your job or cared for her have no bearing on the management or division of the estate.

You need to consult a lawyer.

Michael Cherewka agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.