Temple Hills, MD asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Virginia

Q: Can I get a local lawyer for an out of state custody/placement hearing?

I live in the VA/DC area and my children live in Wisconsin. The divorce hearing was in Wisconsin over 2 years ago and I feel that gaining placement and custody would be in the best interest of my 3 children due to the custodial parent denying my placement 3 times now. She has also been feeding my oldest child lies that has caused her to turn against me and my new wife in which they had a very good relationship in the past. In order to have a hearing in Wisconsin, can I get a local lawyer or do I have to find one in Wisconsin?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Vienna, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You could retain a local lawyer to represent you in Wisconsin. However, that lawyer would either have to be also barred/licensed in Wisconsin, or be admitted pro hac vice, i.e., sponsored by a Wisconsin lawyer for temporary practice in Wisconsin.

Also, keep in mind that it will be expensive to pay for travel, lodging, dining, etc. for that lawyer to attend Wisconsin hearings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.