Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: If you have a child in TN,but moving back to Alabama,how and where do I go to put myself on child support? Ala or TN?

The mother of my 2 year old and I are no longer together. I'm moving back to Mobile,Al.. I will have my daughter 2 weeks straight out of every month. Am I still required to pay the full amount of child support being that she will be with me during that time? And where do I go to put myself on child support because I know she will do it eventually out of spite.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I recommend you consult with an experienced family law attorney. It seems that you need to establish paternity through the court system. For more information about establishing paternity see:

Once paternity is established, child support may be set in accordance with the TN guidelines. The most important factors in the guidelines are the amount of parenting time and the income of both parents. A Permanent Parenting Plan should be entered that specifies when you have your daughter and when your ex has her. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.