Springfield, TN asked in Employment Law for Tennessee

Q: What should I do if my employer is changing my timesheet?

During this Covid situation, I and the GM are the only two running our store. He broke his leg and has barely worked. I have pulled doubles for the last two weeks. As of Thursday, I had 16 hours of overtime. The GM has had me clock him in on 3 separate occasions but he was always clocked out after two to three hours. There is no way he could have even reached 40 hours. I walked into the store yesterday and noticed he now has 40 hours w/ 4 hrs OT. I now ALSO have 40 hours w/ 4 hrs OT. He said that "the computer messed up" and "he was correcting it". I have watched my hours rise all week only for them to be cut like this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer

A: You should file a written report with the Human Resources department and/or your GM's supervisor. Make sure you are keeping a written record of all hours you have worked. If you are a non-exempt, hourly paid employee, then you are entitled to be paid at a rate of one and one-half times your regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 each workweek. If you are not paid correctly for the time you have worked, you should consult with an employment attorney in your area as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.