Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Now 18, my parents are withholding my proof of Medical insurance, also won’t allow me the info to leave their plan.

Can they legally withhold my access to health insurance? It is not during open enrollment so I can not leave their plan or join another without a letter from their insurance company, which I have offered to handle myself. Yet , they still refuse to provide me the name of the insurance or group number, or any information required to leave their plan. I need to make doctors appointments but am unable to do so or afford without insurance and they won’t let me off their plan

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Check with Legal Aid and see if they can refer you to an attorney for assistance. Turning 18 should be a qualifying event to open enrollment for you. I cannot believe Medicaid will not allow you to enroll if you provide details of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.