Minden, LA asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: My wife has been charged for domestic abuse battery and did it again. Me and my children need protection. What can I do?

My wife was arrested for domestic abuse battery and we agreed to try and fix things. She was placed in a diversion program and it happened again, also harming our 2 year old son. We have 2 children together and she left us however I still am afraid of her returning and hurting us again. She is on drugs of some sort and strong liquor which leads to psychotic behavior. What can i legally do to protect my children and myself? I’m sure I need a lawyer but funds aren’t quite sufficient. Please help us!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You're right, you need a lawyer to file a Protective Order, for divorce, custody and child support. If you don't, Child Protective Services could step in and put your children in foster care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.