Huntingdon Valley, PA asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What can I do if I get fired for a situation where another employee approached me with a weapon and threatened me harm?

The man came at me with an object threatening to kill me, I made more than a few attempts to back up but each time he stepped into me. I refused to turn and walk away for fear he would strike me with the object. We were both sent home with pay for the day but I now fear I may be fired. I tried to walk away and he approached / made threats to me. The only threat I made was to defend myself if he attacked me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can receive unemployment compensation and if they say you were guilty of "willful misconduct," it wasn't misconduct and it wasn't willful.

You may have other claims but a lot depends on what happens and what the reasons are. For now, take it one step at a time. When the dust settles you may have a claim for your pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.