Weehawken, NJ asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: In 2010, wife divorced me and moved to Ohio with son. No contact since then but still pay child support. Is this right?

She has since remarried and I believe the child has now been adopted by her new husband, not entirely sure but that’s what I’ve heard through family. I’ve had income taxes withheld, garnishments on my paychecks, anytime I apply for a loan or anything that’s one of the first things that pop up and I’m sick of it. I haven’t seen either of them in over 10 years and she makes a hell of a lot more money than I do. I work construction barely getting by with a wife, daughter and new child on the way and I need this to stop or I’m going to go crazy. What are some options that I have to get relief from this? I really need help and don’t see any hope in this situation at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I recommend you consult with a family law attorney. You may be able to file for a modification of the child support amount if your/her income has changed by more than 15%. Which state was the divorce decree entered in? This question appears in the TN page, yet it appears you posted this question from NJ, and your ex-wife and Son live in OH. It may be tricky to determine where you should file something. The same court that the divorce was finalized in is usually a safe bet for post divorce litigation. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.