Collierville, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: I will no longer be able to pay my rent after July & will have 2 months left on the lease. Can I move without being sued

Due to a recent heart & thyroid condition along with now The Covid 19 shutting me out of business I’m living off my savings account without an income coming in. I’m currently paying $3,500 monthly to rent a house. I will no longer be able to afford to stay in the house after making July’s rent payment. I will still have 2 months of the lease left. I’m planning to move back home with family. Is there anything that can be done during this difficult time to stop my landlord from sueing me for the last two months. He currently has $12,000 in deposit money that I’m go lose which I understand I just want to avoid being sued if possible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shanone Emmack
Shanone Emmack
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should first re-read your lease and see if there is a termination clause and decide if you have an option to terminate early under the clause. You should also talk to your landlord about your situation and see if he will let you out of the lease. If not, then I suggest giving him at least 30 days written notice that you are leaving . Technically you have a lease contract and he could sue you for the remaining balance but, hopefully giving him notice will allow him to get a new tenant and he will let you out of the lease. Good Luck!

Paul E. Tennison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.