Providence, RI asked in Probate for Massachusetts

Q: What are my options

I have been living with my finance for almost 5 years. He passed away suddenly a month ago. No will. I know even through he wanted me to have his house I realize that I will not and I don't want it. I am moving in a month back to my property and his children are constantly harassing me. They want to go through my personal living space and take an inventory. I have purchased most items in that house and have many receipts. What rights do I have regarding getting them to leave me alone?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: They do not have a right to enter your unit. However, once a Personal Representative is appointed by the Probate Court the appointee would have the right to contact you about access to the unit. In the meantime document everything that is yours with photos and receipts you have and make plans to move with the items that are yours. You may want to engage counsel to go over your options as well . For instance you potentially may have a claim against the estate for services and if anyone goes into the unit and takes your things then you have a claim against that person individually. Do not delay as there are applicable statutes of limitations. I have assumed that you are talking about a Massachusetts estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.