Rapid City, SD asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: What if husband son is 18 and he has been living in his own apartment.. can his mother still get child support for him..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Yes. Child support in Nebraska generally continues to the age of 19 years old. It is common for child support to continue even when the child is living out of the home, such as when a child is living in the dorms at college but the parent is still helping support the child. That being said, the payor can ask for child support to be terminated if the child is now financially independent and the parent is not using the child support for the support of the child. This can be done through a number of methods including a motion for an accounting or a motion to terminate child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.