Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Minnesota

Q: My Dad was arrested for sexual conduct of the first-degree 8 years ago and I was wondering if anyone could look into it?

re My Dad's case. I was wondering if someone could look into the case to see if it was unfair and I understand it may be difficult do to the coronavirus pandemic and I do not have any money because I am only 13 years of age so unless you accept pocket change I understand if you cannot look into it. but I feel as if my dad was unfairly judged in court due to the age of the victim and the simple fact that my brother and I were not included in the case even though we were in the same household at the same time that this "incident" happened and the majority of evidence was not present as the ruling of the court was mainly due to hearsay. Sorry If this message is informal or offensive in any way I just want to know if my dad was unfairly judged and if the case can be changed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I would encourage you to talk to your mom or other adult family member to ask them to help you work on this. There are things you could do, together, to look into the matter. But it will be difficult for a juvenile to do those things without help from a trusted adult family member. Also, I would suggest avoiding posting facts on a website that could be used to identify you or anyone else, as a prudent safety precaution. If you and an adult family member wanted to give me a call, I would be willing to try to come up with a few ideas you could explore.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.