Massillon, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: i am turning 16 at the end of this month and want to get emancipated because i live in a toxic environment what do i do?

i want to get a job to move out but my mom won’t let me she made me sign up for disability instead so she can get more money each month. i need out but i don’t want to end up in foster care for trying to get out of the situation , what are my options? my whole life i’ve been homeless off and on because of my mother and i just want to be stable and support myself at this point. i could find a place to stay at temporarily over the summer in order to save money and get my own place. i just don’t know what to do

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio does not permit emancipation for your situation. See this link:

Anyone under 18 is a minor, and cannot enter legally enforceable contracts, so a landlord is not likely to rent to them. Parents are legally responsible for minors, and minors can get in trouble or go to juvenile detention if they leave. If there are problems at home, talk to a family member, teacher, school counselor, or other trusted adult. Or all your local child services office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.