Apache Junction, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: I signed the birth certificate for a child that was not mine, I was in a relationship with the mother at the time.

Immediately after, she left me and married another man. She then sued for child support which was granted but before I could get my first visitation, they, including her new husbands parents and family, packed up and moved. I never saw the child again. Then years later she contacted me saying if I signed away rights so her husband could adopt, I wouldn't have to pay support. I did that but the support amount, unbeknownst to me, kept growing and when the child support people contacted me they said I owed 25 thousand. Then they said it was a mistake and I owed over 50 thousand. Now it's over 100 thousand, and the child is 33 years old and wasn't even my kid in the first place. My question is, what can I do??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Hall
Jay Hall
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I am really sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, terminating your parental rights does not end child support. Was there a written agreement between you and the mother?

You should immediately consult with a local child support attorney to evaluate your options. Most relief is time sensitive, so I am concerned that the significant delay will prejudice you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.