Columbus, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: What rights do I have as a father in AL.Was never married but I'm on B.C.Her parents have temp.cust.Where does leave me?

I've always been in my children's lives.Me and the Mother although together didn't live together due to car accident I was involved in caused me to not be able to work for some time and we lost our home so only maybe a week out of a month we managed to all stay at either hers or my parents.Although separated most of the time we shared the kids equally.Through the last couple of years Megan has used Drugs and was put on a dhr safety plan.Her parents have now been given temporary custody only because Megan used it to her advantage because she was given the option of giving her parents temp. custody or be put on another dhr safety plan.Where does that leave me.Im asking because I currently have two of our three children with me for the last couple days and her Dad says he's coming to get them in the morning,only because he is mad at Megan because not complying with his rules.I don't feel like I should have to suffer for her wrong doings.Do I have the right to keep them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: You have rights, but you have to assert them in Court. You were a necessary party in the custody proceeding you mentioned because you are the presumptive father. Did you go to Court? Why not if you didn't?? What evidence was adduced in that proceeding that kept you from having custody?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.