Northwood, OH asked in Family Law, Divorce and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Do i have a right to choose between visiting my father for the summer or staying with my mother.

So I'm 15 years old and my parents ARE divorced. So every summer i went to see my dad. My father lived farther away due to the military. When i was 13 my mom decided to let me live at my dad and stepmoms house. I lived there for about a year before me and step mother just clearly didn't get along. We were in the middle of moving houses from state to state, so my stepmom and I had to live in a separate house together until my dad retired which was soon. Although every weeked he would drive 2 hours late Friday to spend the weekends with us, we still didn't get along and eventually couldn't see eachother without arguing. My dad never knew because anytime he was around she would be the sweetest to me. I've talked to him once but he didn't believe me. One night me and her had a big fight and she pushed me around and made my dad to choose between me or her. So he sent me back to my moms. So now its time to visit and i dont want to go but my mom wont agree and says i dont get to choose.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your mother and father must follow the court ordered visitation schedule. If they deviate from it, the court could hold one or the other in contempt. But either of them can file with the court asking to change the visitation schedule, so talk to them about doing that. The court would also listen to what you have to say about it. If your parents won't file with the court to make a change, then the current court schedule must be followed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.