Arroyo Grande, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How much of a reletting fee do I charge for a month to month lease that was broken just 4 days after move in in Calif?

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The rental agreement will provide you with an explanation of your rights and the tenant's obligations, particularly about giving notice to you in order to terminate the tenancy. You need to refer to this document for that information.

The limit in Small Claims is up to $10,000.00, so you may want to resort to that if you cannot resolve with the tenant. Here is my suggestion, tell him what the rental agreement provides he is responsible for, and what the balance is over what he paid you, then negotiate for a payment to you of something in the middle in exchange for your release of the tenant from any and all claims for rent. "A bird (or dollar) in the hand is worth two in the bush (or written on a judgment that you have to go through heaven and "you know where" to collect)"

These opinions are based solely on the information in the question and no additional investigation into facts has been made. Additional facts could change the opinion. Do not rely exclusively on this opinion without consulting with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.