Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: Who do I contact to move court dates

My boyfriend is currently incarcerated in Carroll county jail and will be released Wednesday of next week. He has an initial hearing for another case in tippecanoe county on Monday. They are currently not transporting due to covid and the courthouse is closed so he cannot get ahold of them at all and has tried all week. He also hasn’t been appointed a public defender since it’s the initial hearing. The secretary for the local public defender office said the judge doesn’t issue warrants for initial hearings but his lawyer for Carroll county said they would issue a warrant and he would go straight to that jail since he won’t be able to show up for court. What can he do to not get a warrant? He even wrote a letter to the judge explaining that he wouldn’t be able to make it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Contact me privately. An attorney can efile a Motion to Continue so that he does not fail to appear. I accept criminal cases in Tippecanoe County and can help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.