Asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: got tangled in friend's divorce Friend filedfordivorceHerhusban Subpoenaed meforallrecordsofconversation since1/1/20

Friend's lawyer appealed to quash the subpoena against me and obtain protection order

Judge said "The petitioner motion to quash respondent's records subpoens issued to independent witness,XYZ is granted in part and denied in part.The Respondentmay issue a records subpoena to a party requesting documents relevant to allegations contained in a Petition.Therefore, a request to quash the entire records subpoena is denied.

However it appears from the record providedto courtthat theRespondent did not request the documents/information deemed essential or necessary from the petitionerherself, who appears may be in posession of the information sought,thus questioning the motivation of the issuance of subpoena.None the less,the Respondent would be entitled to obtain copies of any conversations,in written or electronic form, between the Petitioned andwitnessrelativeto24hrpriorandsubsequentofdate.Respondent'ssubpoenashall be amended on its face accordingly.What to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: When you get the amended subpoena, you have to comply with it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.