Leesburg, VA asked in Real Estate Law for New York

Q: Property leased under my name by relative

Me and my sister rented/leased an apartment in NY under my name, I lived there for two years and moved abroad after a couple of years, for education and then for a career. I didn't talk to her too much because of a falling out we had. She passed away a few weeks ago and I had to go take care of her arrangements, I found out that she never changed the lease back to her name, and had rented the place to some other person, most probably without proper documentation (sublease or something). Now that she's no more, I am wondering how I can get the lease off of my name, and what would be the best way to resolve it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Call the landlord. As you are abroad, you are basically judgment proof in this country, so the landlord should prefer to have the real tenant on the lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.