Pottstown, PA asked in Personal Injury for Pennsylvania

Q: I was sexually assaulted 2 and a half years ago. Is a police report needed to sue for emotional distress?

I never filed a police report, but was preyed on by my friend's friend, having made it known I was not interested in sexual contact multiple times before going to sleep. He waited until I was asleep in my own bed, to "make his move." I suffer from PTSD and am seeing a therapist now, but struggle with work and other areas of my life since the incident.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you were under 18 you have until your 20th birthday.

However, if the person has no money, even if a suit were possible you would have nothing to collect on.

File a police report now. I would contact a womens shelter who can put you in touch with a group in the county where it happened so you can discuss pros and cons of doing that this late.


If your therapist isn't doing EMDR you may want to look into that as an adjunct to therapy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.