Ithaca, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: I am going to get a divorce. I am scared my husband will try to drag it out. Can that happen? When can I move out?

I need to divorce quickly for my happiness and mental health. I'm scared my husband will try to make me miserable or trap me. What are the typical costs for divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Unfortunately, depending on the attorney your husband gets he may be able to drag out the divorce. The courts try to have divorce cases ready for trial in 6 months if the case can't be settled, however, it doesn't take much to drag the case beyond 6 months. In regards to moving out, if you have no children, you can move out when you want. Just be aware that if you signed a lease or have a mortgage you may still be responseible. I highly recommend you speak to a lawyer about all of the facts of your case and hire one to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.