Massena, NY asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: How do you prove that my children's father's income has increase almost 50%?

He claimed at our first hearing that his income was $300 a week (2007), when I asked if he got any pay raises he always said no. I have had several people report to me that is income is now $450-$500 a week plus his employer is leasing a couple hundred acres from him. He has also sold all live stock and heavy equipment. There was no liens or debt on anything. Most of it was cash sales, but the livestock was noted as assets in court records. Do I have to file something to get access to his income to verify the change?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
George E. Patsis
George E. Patsis
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lindenhurst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: File a petition to modify the child support order. You can call witnesses and your attorney can subpoena his employment records and the lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.