Canoga Park, CA asked in Medical Malpractice for California

Q: I had surgery in Ventura county, is that the county Where I need to file a malpractice Suit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A California attorney should advise here, as your question involves as aspect of procedural law. But your post remains open for four weeks. Until you are able to consult with a California attorney, as a general matter, the location of where the claim arose is almost universally a basis for venue under most state codes of civil procedure (as well as in federal practice). Most state codes of civil procedure additionally provide other basis for venue, which as a GENERAL matter, COULD involve residency, location of business, being subject to personal jurisdiction, or others. But this is not something for general conjecture; it is an important aspect of your case that should be firmly ascertained. Since your post remains open, if you haven't already handled the question, consider reaching out to a California attorney.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.