San Bernardino, CA asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Social Security for California

Q: can my father refuse to give me my social security benefits until I’m 18 even though he kicked me out?

months ago I was kicked out,my father didn’t really care but I didn’t tell them where I was going so my fathers sister reported me missing. I still had the missing person report even though everyone including my dad knew where i was at. we got that resolved and both of them stated it was fine that I stay at the residence I’m at. I recently graduated high school and before this my father collected my social security benefits from my deceased mother I didn’t have control over any of it even when it was in my name and meant for me. when I was kicked out, I was still in school, I waited until I graduated to ask for my social security benefits. my father has not checked up on me or given me any help or anything that belongs to me since this happened. I have been living at another location for months without his care and with his knowledge now that I have graduated and proved I can take care of myself without him. I want my social security benefits so I can take of myself. it’s been MONTHS

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Darlington
Mike Darlington
  • Shingletown, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Call or get online with the Social Security Administration; explain the situation to them and they will head you down the right path. May be a slow process but just take one step at a time and don't lose your patience.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.