Atlanta, GA asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: I have a child that is fixing to turn 24yrs he came to live with me at 18 Year of age until he was 22 they still chargin

Me$415 a month I'm on SSDI can't work they take $100 a month out of my check an charge me interest on the rest by my adding they should have collected all an they still taking I'm thinking that they owe me some of my money back she has never done anything for him she would take his support money an spend it on her an her daughter and not my son like it should have been done

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Questions: is this the only child? or is he one of several for whom you are paying support from the same order? When he turned 19 or when he moved in with you, did you go back to Court and get the child support ended or reduced? Finally, is the $100 a month that is taken from your check for an arrearage on child support you did not pay long ago? If you answer these questions, you will answer your question about support. Changes in support are not automatic. You have to go to court to get support terminated in most cases. It sounds like this is for an arrearage. Is it?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.