Pomona, CA asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for California

Q: Can the judge separate me and my boyfriend if there was domestic violence with kids involved ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

i am not a family lawyer and you should not be discussing sensitive info like this on an open forum.

i assume the court was concerned for the safety of the kids but I don't have the info.

you need to consult with a lawyer in your community to get guidance.

i would encourage you to write out all the facts in detail for a lawyer to review.

Mike Darlington
Mike Darlington
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Shingletown, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Like the prior gentlemen I also think you should be sitting done with a professional to discuss these issues so any advice can be tailored to your specific needs. However, I think this is the proper forum for discussion of these general issues as long as no confidential information is posted. I think that your question is general enough that a brief answer would be helpful.

The judge cannot order you to separate unless one of you requests restraining orders that request no contact orders against the other. However, the court can make orders regarding the minor child that restrict your time with him if you and your boyfriend are a danger to the child when together. The court could well, under certain circumstances, take jurisdiction of your child if they feel the child is not being protected satisfactorily by you. The courts never want children to be in the presence of domestic violence.

Natalie M. Packer agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.