Ville Platte, LA asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: Could my boyfriends felony domestic abuse charges be dropped or reduced?

About 2 years ago my boyfriend & I got into a fight, and my mother called the cops. I was pregnant and in the moment and because things were so hectic, my memory of the event was affected and now i remember it a lot differently than I had previously written in my statement to police. I wasn’t lying, but I was under so much stress that I believe I remembered things incorrectly. Could they use this against me in court? My boyfriend and I are back together & raising our son, could they put him away for this or is there a possibility of them dropping or reducing the charges because of a lack of evidence or that we are back together?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to fill out a drop charge form with the Disteict Attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.