Lubbock, TX asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: If my kid was held back from school a year do I still have to pay child support after he turns of age?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Humble, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In general, you will be required to continue the payment of child support until the child graduates or turns 18 whichever is later. That child will have to meet certain attendance requirements after the age of 18. You should not just stop paying. You should verify in your order that you are eligible to stop and then contact the Child Support Division of the Attorney General's office for the appropriate procedure for terminating the child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.