San Diego, CA asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California

Q: Can I legally protest without my parent’s consent? I am 17 years old in California.

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can legally protest, but if you intend to go anywhere to do so, be sure to advise your parents where you are going and with what you intend to get involved. It is always better to show a level of maturity, and in many, if not most, families, it can be helpful to discuss your feelings either with your own parents or other adults who may have the same views you have. I have found it most helpful to thrash out especially controversial subjects with others who can offer a different viewpoint, because it can help supply a better understanding of something you may feel strongly about.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.