Sanford, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Hello, if I offered a replacement tenant for the house owner and she rejected, can she sue me

I bought a house, currently We're tenants and the lease under my dad name, he doesn't work I pay the rent for him. We want to break the lease my dad has health issues he can't pay the rent.

He has SSI which is not enough to pay house rent

He will move out with me

What do you think

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You bought a house while you were paying your father's rent. If you stop paying your dad's rent, he will be evicted. But now that you've taken on the mortgage payment, you've left dad to pay his own rent, but he can't.

Your idea is to find another tenant to take over your lease and if the landlord says no, can she sue you?

Of course the landlord can sue you. The landlord is under no obligation at all to "work with you", or ta accept a tenant that you find to replace you. If he or she goes along with your plan, great. If not, then you are letting your dad take the fall since the lease is under his name.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.