Lancaster, NY asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: My legal guardian (aunt) posts planning on abandoning us. My brother is still only 17, what can we do?

I am 18, my brother is 17. Our paternal aunt and legal guardian is planning on abandoning us and moving out of the state. We cannot financially support ourselves if she leaves, let alone abandon a minor who she still holds custody of. What can I do to ensure that my younger brother is financially supported while he finishes high school? There is also some money issues like my aunt receiving a check from my passed mothers insurance for my brother to use to financially support him

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can bring on a support petition in family court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.