Arlington, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can I take my daughter from FL and bring her back to Texas. Been trying to get her back since August.

My wife and I have been separated for over 9 years. I had custody of my daughter in texas for over 4 to 5 years due to my daughter being found in the street in fl and being positive for drugs. The department of child services gave me custody. Her mom was able to get her back 2 years ago when she go her rights back. But I kept her here in texas.

My ex gf took her back almost a year ago due to some unfortunate events. I have been trying to get her back but my wife has little kids that she makes our daughter babysit. My daughter has been begging me to get her back. Am I able to drive to Fl and get her back and return to TX. She will be 12 in December and she is miserable. Told me she is sharing a room with her 2 other siblings (5 total, she's my only one) sleeping on floor in the room. I want my daughter back and I am trying to get her out of this situation. My wife wont even let me talk to her most times.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I don't know what you mean by "Her mom was able to get her back 2 years ago, but I kept her. ". Contact the Texas child services agency and ask them.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.