Dallas, TX asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: Does my daughter's father have any legal rights to keep my daughter away from me if we were never married.

I am in Texas working I gave temporary guardianship to my parents until school ended. She is scheduled to join me in Texas on June 6th. He did sign the birth certificate but did not establish paternity. He is keeping her away from hos mother and my parents and has taken her phone so that we cannot contact her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Humble, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If there is no court order in place then he, as the father, has the same rights that you do. I suggest that you retain an attorney and get orders in place regarding the child by filing a suit affecting the parent child relationship. Doing so should eliminate the problem you are experiencing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.