Kahului, HI asked in Real Estate Law for New York

Q: How do I obtain a "Letter of Satisfaction" for a mortgage that my name has been taken off of without my knowledge?

My name is currently on the deed and all of the original mortgage finance papers filed with the state. My ex Husband did a loan modification without my knowledge and my name is not on that modification.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I am not sure what your concern is. You are on the deed, so you own the property. If the old mortgage is still appearing, you can call that bank and get a satisfaction filed. If you are not on the new mortgage you do not have to pay it, so it seems in your interest. How your ex accomplished this is the issue. Is there a divorce decree he was able to show allowing it, or did he forge your name?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.