Deptford, NJ asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I am 82 years old i have a property i bought in pa in 1969. i want to file for adverse possession .

I am 82 years old i have a property i bought in pa in 1969. i want to file for adverse possession on the land bordering my property because i have been using it for more than 21 years . How do i file and what do i need to do and how long does the process usually take

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Civil litigation in Pennsylvania largely depends on the county that you're dealing with (and you haven't indicated in your question which county your land is located). Adverse possession claims in Pennsylvania also require that your possession of this adjoining parcel be actual; continuous; open and notorious; hostile; and for 21 years. All of these terms have specific legal meanings. If you meet the legal requirements, you'd need to file a complaint for adverse possession in the appropriate Court of Common Pleas, Naturally, each county has its own filing procedures and fees as well.

I suggest that you contact counsel at least somewhat near your Pennsylvania property and have a chat about your wishes. If your property is in the eastern portion of Pennsylvania, I'd be happy to speak with you offsite. Best of luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.