Rockville, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: I gave a security deposit to secure an apt before signing a lease. I no longer want the apartment. Can I get it back?

I'm wondering even if no one takes the apartment, can he really just keep the money even if i didn't breech the lease since I didn't sign one?

Is there specific maryland law about how the money can be used and if not used in a specific way must be returned?

when i called the landlord, he kept saying well "its okay that your circumstances changed, but what do you think the point of a security deposit is. I already told other people that the apt was taken" when I reiterated that but I hadn't signed a lease yet. In fact a lease hadn't been sent to me yet. He agreed that yes I did not need to take the apartment. But he doubled down on "what do you think the point of a security deposit is, it's to secure the apartment for you". I left the conversation at well keep me updated on if someone else takes it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you are in Rockville, tell him you are about to call the Landlord Tenant Office <>. Then, do so. If the community in which you live has a landlord tenant office, call them. If not, you'll need to sue in Maryland District Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.