Issaquah, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: Can a new adult fight to lift or take away a No Contact Order that was placed for their protection as a minor?

When I was 17, I had a boyfriend who was over 5 years older than me. Someone sent in an anonymous tip about our relationship and he had to go to court, and said a painful goodbye saying we can’t be in contact going forward. I know all about the potential consequences in Washington State for breaking no contact orders with regard to sexual offense crimes, so I don’t want to do anything that could get him in more trouble. The issue is, I don’t know what can be done but I’m determined to do everything I can to be able to contact him. When I’m an adult, can I do something about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: As the victim, you could petition the court to lift the no contact order when you turn 18. A judge would need to approve of the request.

Nadine Bertman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.