Laurel, MS asked in Child Custody for Mississippi

Q: I lost custody now custodial parent in jail for murder My son is with custodial parents family and will not give him me

While incarceration i agreed to allow my son to go live with his dad the judge agreed so my son went from dhs custody to his dads custody i never signed anything giving my rights up or anything i never received copy of any custody paper work now im at of jail my sons dad has bern keep my son from me never letting me see him he (sons father) got arrested for murder last night my question is can i legally go get my son from his dads family now that he is charged with murder does custody automatically go back to me i want my son home with me do to the fact his dad murder someone at the home my son lived at cant i get some kind of emergency custody or something i dont even know where my son is at all any one will tell me is he is safe and with dads family who legally has say so over my son now

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You need to get with a family law lawyers ASAP. Assuming that there is paperwork giving you joint legal custody, unless there is something saying that you cannot have the child, then you are entitled to have him in your custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.