Queens, NY asked in Employment Law for New York

Q: My employer didn't keep the promise to raise my pay so I resigned.

I have been negotiating a new salary with my employer for some time now. Two weeks ago, May 25, he finally proposed a new pay rate and a bonus structure. I took the offer and was told that it would go in effect that very same day. Then a week later, he came with a different pay rate, which was much lower than what was promised a week ago and said that this is his final decision and it would go in effect the next week. I got furious since it wasn't the first time he broke the promise. So I resigned the next day and told him that I consider it being fired. Now, I was notified by the compliance officer telling me that I shouldn't apply for UI because I resigned voluntarily. My question is, can I argue that I was fired or forced to resign and apply for UI?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
  • Tarrytown, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: How would you do that?

If your pay was substantially cut that would be a different scenario and you could argue constructive discharge.

I am not familiar with any cases which hold that not getting a promotion or a raise was good cause to resign. You may want to return to that job or at least offer to return for now.

Had you landed another position with some other employer, then told this most recent employer that you were resigning, then were denied the position with the new employer which you had confirmed was approved, that would likely be good cause to resign.

Go back or at least try to go back. See what their response is, i.e. they hired someone else, then decide whether you can prove good cause for not returning to your old job, after you have tried to get that job back because most employers will rehire good employees who already know the system rather than risk hiring and training a new employee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.