Asked in Domestic Violence for Maryland

Q: My ex boyfriend sits outside of my apartment taunting me.

Last night he threw firecrackers at my apt. I thought it was a shotgun because of the very loud sound so i called the police and told them i heard a shotgun firing by my apt. They came and admitted that he had firecrackers but no gun on him. He has threatened me in the past. The cops allowed him to stay outside of my residence even after i explained that he was only here to harass me.When i ask him to leave he tells me that he can sit wherever he wants, whenever he wants. Meanwhile im locked in my apt terrified to even move. He asks my neighbors about my every move, when i leave, when i come home. He doesnt even live close to here and has no reason whatsoever to even be here. What can i do to get help? Especially if the brooklyn park cops allow the harassment to continue without even asking him to leave

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You can seek a protective order for stalking. While he is technically allowed to be on public roads and such if you get a protective order that covers harassment and he is not allowed on common areas of your apartment such as the parking lot. You can get one from a commissoner if the court is closed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.