Monroe, LA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: Can a case be reopened when the accused suspect have already taken a deal?

I was incarcerated on July 13, 2018, because a girl that I was messing around with accuse me of strangling her. The same year January 5, 2018 I was involved in a accident in which my right hand (Fingers only) was injured badly. I had to have surgery on it January 11, 2018. During surgery my feelings and other things were reconnected in my hand in order for me to use my hand and fingers. The victim told the arresting officer that I strangled her with my right hand, but I couldn’t close my hand to make a fist.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Wht would you take a deal in July 2018, do time and not raise this as a defense until Jun 2020? You can appeal for new evidence. This is old evidence. Tou can also appeal for incompetent representation. But why wait so long?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.