Marlborough, MA asked in Probate for Massachusetts

Q: Possible stolen inheritance?

After my father died when I was 9, my dad gave my aunt custodian to the inheritance I'd receive. Now that I am 18, I've been trying to contact her receiving information about it and she wont budge or even contact me regarding it and blocked my number. The money was supposed to pay for my college and my first year of college is coming up in the fall and I have no information! What should be my next course of action.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It is not stated what Probate Court was involved in having your aunt appointed as your Guardian and Conservator, but annually there should have been Accounts filed by her showing sums of money received and payments out and what remains. There should have been an initial Inventory filed as well. You should engage counsel to review what was done with your father's estate as well as to how your monies were handled and there could well be a removal of fiduciary petition as well as potentially an equity case against aunt for misfeasance if applicable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.