East Amherst, NY asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for New York

Q: How can I get the divorce to go through?

My stbx lives in Canada. I live in NY.

I sent him uncontested paperwork because we were on the same page and made a custody agreement and was delivered on May 5th through USPS with a signature required. I asked him if he signed and returned the papers and he still has not sent back because he didn't "get time to read them" and it's been more than a month. I thought he had 20 days to dispute. How do get my divorce to go through since he never sent them back?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you are talking about an uncontested packet, then unfortunately there isn't much you can do except restart the process by having someone serve his personally with the papers. You are not allowed to serve papers and as such time does not start to run until he is served properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.