Bradenton, FL asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: I am a 14 year parents keep scratching,cutting or injuring me in ways that leave visible marks for months.

Hi. I am a kid and my parents keep scratching, cutting, and otherwise injuring me in a fashion that leaves very visible marks after a day or two, some even for years. They only do this when they are drunk, and I was wondering what to do. I love them and don't want them to go to jail, but it hurts and I don't like being cut, scratched, and bruised. Any info you might need, like age, I am 14, no psychiatrist believes me, and I don't know what else to call and I wondered what legal ramifications their actions hold. Thank you for your time!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You could call DHR. That way they won’t go to jail, but would be provided with services to get some help for their addiction to alcohol. But be warned, they will probably take you out of the homes and place you with a relative as part of a safety plan. If you don’t have any relatives you will be placed in foster care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.