Asked in Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: How do I find the name of my landlord in my state to file in small claims court? They are registered as a "foreign LLC."

I checked the Georgia Corporations division for the name on my lease "Holcomb Bridge GA Partners, LLC"

The parent company is "Cortland," but for some reason they are using this foreign LLC.

In order to file a small claim against them, I need their registered agent name and address. Their principal office address is in Illinois, the jurisdiction is in Delaware and their physical address is in GA. I am so confused. Which do I use?

Also, the Registered Agent's name is: "Corporation Service Company" This makes no sense to me.

I want to make sure I am filing the claim against the right entity. Please help! Thanks.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: You file against the legal corporate name, listing their principal office address. You serve it through the Registered Agent. But keep in mind that when you sue, the Defendant will probably evict you. And hopefully you have some idea of where to execute a prospective Judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.