Memphis, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: my wife and I own a home in Tennessee ,and we want to add our daughter to the title.

my bank who has the mortgage said I could add her to the title as opposed to having her go through the loan qualifications. she has a good paying job and can handle the payments.I'm wanting to do this for when I pass on and I don't want her to have to find a place to live and as long as my wife survives me she can still continue to make the payments as well, I was advised by my county assessors office to do a quit claim deed.of course as long as I'm alive I want to maintain the survivorship with my wife.

If a quit claim deed is the way to go I don't know how to word it correctly so that there isn't ant legal issues. I if there are other forms that may be better suited for what I want to accomplish,please advise

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hire a competent attorney to draft a Quit Claim Deed with you and your wife retaining a Joint Life Estate for your Natural Lives, then Vested Remainder over to your Daughter. Do not draft this Deed yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.