Clearfield, PA asked in Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: What kind of attorney do I need to persue a lawsuit against a county jail ASAP

My son (age 18)was beaten and humiliated by 5 inmates in our county jail over the weekend.(He is now released on unsecured bail) The guards let this go on for hours when they are supposed to check each block every half hour. I want to persue charges or a lawsuit for failing to protect him. Please help us!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You'll want an attorney who does "1983" litigation -- which references the federal statute under which you'd file suit against the municipality/jail. You'll also be filing in federal court, so you'll want someone who's familiar with federal procedures. It's a very specific area of law, so you'll want to find someone who has specific experience with exactly this kind of litigation.

Your best bet is probably to look for someone in Harrisburg or Pittsburgh, even though that's a bit of a drive for you. In the meantime, make sure your son gets proper medical treatment so that his injuries are both documented and healed. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.