Culver City, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How do I get a paying roommate who's not on the lease to move out of my apartment in Los Angeles, CA. 3 year roommate.

I no longer wish to live with this person who consumes alcohol to the point of drunkardness every day. No alcohol was a condition of the roommate arrangement, although there's nothing in writing. The Landlord is not aware this person resides here, and after checking my lease, it's against the lease terms. I reside in a rent controlled area. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You have a difficult situation, if they cause problems and report you to the LL, you could be evicted. But this does not mean that you cannot do anything, Give them a 3 day notice to quit for breaching the rental agreement with alcohol and then begin eviction proceedings. There are other remedies for you when you have a single person residing in the home you reside in. You should discuss fully with an eviction attorney.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.