Medford, MA asked in Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: How does probate court for custody work in Massachusetts

My son is almost 4 and has lived with me his whole life, along with his mother This past January she had gotten us evicted and I have my own apartment, she took my son and is living in a shelter Using my child to get herself state housing, while I work 40 hours a week How can I get to see my son and have him sleep over on weekends She refuses to let me see him and spend any real time with him What do you think would happen in court as far as custody would go

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Has paternity been acknowledged? If not, then you should commence a Paternity proceeding and request visitation and child support orders to be entered upon a paternity finding. The law in unmarried situations is that the mother is the sole custodial parent, however, upon a showing that you were highly involved with the child and lived together until recently, the Court can order joint legal custody and visitation. You should have a schedule in mind which you can commit to writing for the time you can spend with the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.